Donation Totals

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hills, Hills and more f'n Hills

Wow, that was tough. UGH... Anyway, I have been participating in the Tour de France Challenge on Mapmyride.com, where you upload from your gps or cell phone your rides (I have been including runs for my GPS too) and it calculates your virtual time, based on your total distance, pace and total ascent, as if you had raced that days stage in the real Tour de France! Well knowing there was a couple significant climbs in today's stage, I got motivated to get out for a 30 mile hill workout, starting off with about 10 miles of warmup, heading down Farmington Rd, finding a new really steep hill on Danville Rd, just before the 6 mile mark, where there is about a mile long climb with an average of 10% grade. Now that will get you warmed up! The course then flattened out until about mile 12, where I hit the nice down hill on Berry rd before crossing back over Rt 210 and starting what was supposed to be a series of hill repeats up the two steepest climbs in the area that I know of, Fort Trail and Wannas Dr off of Farmington Rd, where both hills have >16% grades and extend for about 1/2 a mile. This was supposed to be the best part of the ride, however leave it to an irresponsible dog owner to ruin it. I did the Fort Trail climb once without incident, but upon approaching the summit the second time, of course I was chased by two dogs to the top, who backed off when I turned around to face them at the top, only to begin chase once again once I started down. DAMN I hate irresponsible people. Get an f'n fence, invisible or otherwise or hang out with your dogs outside to make sure they don't ruin everyone else's day. UGh... SO then I did the Wannas Dr climb, only to realize that the downhill is a mess because the road is now so ripped up. Therefore I called those a wash after three climbs and took off up Farmington which effectively kicked my butt (another 1/2 mile climb with up to 14% grades). After this I headed over to the access road by 210 where I did a nice sprint, hitting above 25 mph for an extended length before heading out to a nice turn around and then heading back for one more sprint, again reaching >25 mph. Ended back at the house, where I then hopped on the trainer for a final couple miles to cool down. Great ride despite the dogs and wow am I beat...

No comments:

2010 Efforts!

This year, like last year, I will be riding for Mary Payton's Miracle - My friend Steve Kogos from Trigators informed me that his friend Joe's daughter, Mary Payton, was diagnosed a number of years back with Late Infantile Batten Disease. This is a disease with no cure, however, there are special experimental (and extremely expensive) treatments which have shown some significant signs of success! In order to assist with the costly treatments and research, Mary Payton's Miracle was created to raise money to find a cure, hopefully in time to save little Mary Payton as well as the many others affected by this terrible disease!

Total Mileage

Current Challenges

Valid 2/1-12/1/2009