Donation Totals

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Super Hills in Western MD...

Completing the ascent on Savage Mtn and the rest of the 'hilly' portion of the Savageman 1/2 Ironman Bike course. Started at Westernport, MD and after a couple warmup laps started the attack on Rock St in Westernport and the infamous Westernport Wall, a terribly paved (pot holes galour) couple hundred foot section of Rock St that is closed to traffic due to how steep it is (up to 33%!). Made two attempts, got almost the entire way up the first time before my wheel found a pot hole and almost took a nasty dive. The second time, I only made it 1/2 way up before I lost traction on my rear wheel and almost rode backwards down against my will! So I decided I had done what I could and after a kiss from Betsy, Cole and Trinity continued my ascent of Savage Mtn, about an additional 9 miles with grades routinely above 10% up to 15% at some points. After reaching the summit (approx. 2800 feet from 1000), I started the fast descent before beginning the second and third climbs, both with grades routinely above 10%, maxing out at about 17% in some places. This again summited at about 2800 feet and then I began a very quick decent out of New Germany State Park. I then reached Miller Rd, where a really bad hill with an avg of 15% grade and stretches above 25% are had. However, I was attacked by a big black burly dog at the base of the climb and chased about a 1/4 of a mile before he finally gave up. Because I couldn't pass it, I had to call Betsy and called it a day. Dissappointing I missed that last climb, but I finished the biggest part of what I wanted to accomplish! Great ride, beautiful view and then got to head back to my friend Sharka's Chalet in Friendsville where Betsy and I relaxed with Cole and the girls while we read.

Elevation and hill grade profile and Google Earth Image of the Course:





















Westernport Wall, start of Savage Mtn Ascent













Otto St Climb, > 20% grade













Starting the Rock St Climb, Westernport, MD


Climbing, >15% grade the entire way
Starting the Westernport Wall - >25% grade entire wayTacking on the Wall...

No comments:

2010 Efforts!

This year, like last year, I will be riding for Mary Payton's Miracle - My friend Steve Kogos from Trigators informed me that his friend Joe's daughter, Mary Payton, was diagnosed a number of years back with Late Infantile Batten Disease. This is a disease with no cure, however, there are special experimental (and extremely expensive) treatments which have shown some significant signs of success! In order to assist with the costly treatments and research, Mary Payton's Miracle was created to raise money to find a cure, hopefully in time to save little Mary Payton as well as the many others affected by this terrible disease!

Total Mileage

Current Challenges

Valid 2/1-12/1/2009