Donation Totals

Sunday, April 18, 2010

St. Charles Half Marathon! Wow, in a last min decision I signed up for the Inaugural St. Charles 1/2 Marathon (just signed up last Friday!) over in Waldorf, MD! The race director was kind enough to include our fliers in the race packets, and I voluteered yesterday as well. I got up this morning and headed over following two days of Betsy being sick, three nights with a complete lack of sleep and very little training, and stretched out to get ready. I felt pretty rough, but finally got myself together and got going. Started off at about a 7:30 min/mile pace, then settled into a pace just under 8:00 min/mile. IT WAS COLD!!! IT WAS WINDY!!! Miles 4-7 and 9-11 were straight into the wind, making it really cold and really rough going, but my pace never slowed to below an 8:09 min/mile. The course was great, relatively flat with a few deceptively long grades and hills, with a nice detour through a park on a dirt single track which gave a great change of scenery. Turning back onto Piney Church Lane, I could see a runner in front of me that I had been gaining on for a while steadily. In one of my first triathlons ever I didn't give that last ditch effort towards the end, only to find out that the guy that I could have caught was third in my age group, leaving me out of the awards, I always remember that that is what happens when you don't give every ouce you have, so I wasn't going to do that this time. I steadily caught up on him bit by bit over the last two miles, but never quite caught him. A cool side note though, the race actually finished at Home Plate of the Blue Crabs Stadium! However, I did give everything I had left, so I was quite pleased with the result. Overall I finished in 1:44:05 for a 7:57 min/mile pace, coming in 21st place (out of 251) and 2nd in my age group (out of 20)! Not too bad all things considered! I think I might try to work on my half marathon time this season, I have been trying to figure out what to focus on this year and this seems like a good choice. Either that or getting my 5k time down below 20 min. Maybe both!


No comments:

2010 Efforts!

This year, like last year, I will be riding for Mary Payton's Miracle - My friend Steve Kogos from Trigators informed me that his friend Joe's daughter, Mary Payton, was diagnosed a number of years back with Late Infantile Batten Disease. This is a disease with no cure, however, there are special experimental (and extremely expensive) treatments which have shown some significant signs of success! In order to assist with the costly treatments and research, Mary Payton's Miracle was created to raise money to find a cure, hopefully in time to save little Mary Payton as well as the many others affected by this terrible disease!

Total Mileage

Current Challenges

Valid 2/1-12/1/2009