Donation Totals

Friday, October 2, 2009

Long run over the Bay of Finland!


After meeting with some collaborators this morning, Sharka and I returned to the hotel and spent some time trying to decide what to do tomorrow. One possibility was to find a flight to Lapland up around the arctic circle, but I ended up nixxing that due to finances, so we decided to do a bit more touring in Helsinki today and heading out to Nuuksio National Park to search for flying squirrels and see some of the country side. After going out and checking out some of the cathedrals and monuments, we headed back to the hotel and I got dressed and headed out for a run. I decided to do the long run to the east, passing over a number of bridges effectively encircling a portion of the Bay of Finland. It was gorgeous. Sunny weather, still quite chilly, but beautiful and it turns out most of the run I had planned was on nature trails. In fact it led me onto the island of Seurasaari, which apparently is some historical site! Quite beautiful and lots of old finnish architechture (see facebook for photos). Kept a great pace, right around 8 min/mile for the run and carried my camera to catch some photos along the way. I really hope we get back in time tomorrow for me to get in one more run, but I am starting to plan my routes for Vienna as I write this. Wish we had a bit more time here. On another note, had food at three restaurants the past three nights and all three were FANTASTIC!

No comments:

2010 Efforts!

This year, like last year, I will be riding for Mary Payton's Miracle - My friend Steve Kogos from Trigators informed me that his friend Joe's daughter, Mary Payton, was diagnosed a number of years back with Late Infantile Batten Disease. This is a disease with no cure, however, there are special experimental (and extremely expensive) treatments which have shown some significant signs of success! In order to assist with the costly treatments and research, Mary Payton's Miracle was created to raise money to find a cure, hopefully in time to save little Mary Payton as well as the many others affected by this terrible disease!

Total Mileage

Current Challenges

Valid 2/1-12/1/2009